The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

the second city, 8/26 - 9/31
















Due to the request of my grandfather, all of my posts from this point forward will feature "capitalization when necessary". Ah, grandpa. Where would I be without you?

Although much ground was covered in Chicago, I believe my own personal highlight was the tour of Hemingway's birthplace when the "tour guide" (I use the term about as loosely as possible) showed me a picture that she "thought" was Ernie's uncle, but she really wished that they "labeled these things". A wealth of knowledge awaits those who take this particular tour. It was amusing at least, and it gave me some hope to know that Hemingway was also a product of the suburbs.

Strangely enough, Frank Lloyd Wright also lived and worked in the same neighborhood (Oak Park, that is) and designed quite a few of the houses there. And, of course, I was all about the architecture action after reading The Fountainhead voraciously a week before. So, that was fun.

And of course I got to see my beloved friends Lauren and Lance, who are currently in the throes of the struggle for educational equality. Keep up the good work, kids. I look forward to one day returning to the warm embrace of your futon. Hopefully your bathroom ceiling won't still be leaking by then :)

Before I end this, I must mention the coolest bean ever. I have pictures of my own taking that will one day soon be posted, but until then, I hope the one above will do.

1 Comments:

Blogger T-Mac said...

Don't go joining a Fountainhead cult before we leave in three weeks! :-) It sounds like you're having a great time, rock on. Oh, and MAN, that's a big bean. :-)

3:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home